The fate of Big Brother, as well as Celebrity Big Brother going into next year the remains up in the air after Channel 5 issued a denial, it has axed the show.
The Daily Star reported on Sunday that the upcoming series next month will be the last ever celebrity run of the show, claiming the low viewing figures as the main reason. However, it makes no mention of ‘civilian’ Big Brother, which saw its figures go below 1 million viewers last year.
“After months of discussions it has been decided to axe Celebrity Big Brother,” a ‘source’ told the tabloid. “Ratings have dropped for the past few series so it isn’t worth the hefty price tag.”
Channel 5 issued a statement to clarify, saying the situation has not changed since January.
“The situation remains unchanged,” Channel 5 said in a statement. “Big Brother is currently contracted until the end of the year, there’s no update on future series beyond 2018.”
Back in February, it was revealed that the broadcaster had issued an invitation to partners to pitch ideas for new shows to replace Big Brother in the time slots. All this as Ben Frow commented the show would not return “in its current form” if it was renewed beyond 2018.
The new report comes after it was revealed production company Endemol Shine submitted an application to the Hertsmere Borough Council to keep the site used for Big Brother for another three years. While it does not mean C5 have renewed the deal, it could mean Endemol is shopping the show around to other broadcasters.
Celebrity Big Brother returns to Channel 5 in August followed by a civilian-run in September.