The upcoming sixth season House of Cards will be its last after Netflix announces they will be canceling the show amid the controversy surrounding show star Kevin Spacey.
The news comes just 24 hours after a report surfaced on Buzzfeed that actor Anthony Rapp accused a then-26-year-old Spacey of making sexual advances on him when he was 14 years old.
Late Sunday night, Spacey released a statement regarding the report. The actor said he did not remember the incident, but apologized if it did take place. Spacey also used the statement to come out as gay.
— Kevin Spacey (@KevinSpacey) October 30, 2017
The series began production on its final season just over two weeks ago. Netflix said the decision to end the show was made during the summer and had nothing to do with the scandal.
“Media Rights Capital and Netflix are deeply troubled by last night’s news concerning Kevin Spacey. In response to last night’s revelations, executives from both of our companies arrived in Baltimore this afternoon to meet with our cast and crew to ensure that they continue to feel safe and supported. As previously scheduled, Kevin Spacey is not working on set at this time.”
House Of Cards has been valuable to Netflix, getting a full two-season order for a $100 million price tag. The show received 46 Emmy nominations and six wins.
House Of Cards returns to Netflix in 2018 for its final season.